Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Guest Lists Start the Party

A lot of women (and men!) say they have dreamt about their wedding day for since they were little.  To be honest, I had never thought of what my wedding would look like, and I didn’t have a lot of needs. Although that’s sort of a lie too…mostly, I knew what I DIDN’T want.

The first problem I have with weddings is the expectations.  People expect weddings to have certain aspects, and most of these made me slightly nauseous.  Bridal parties, seating arrangements, familial expectations, the works.  Not to mention I hate 99% of bridal gowns I’ve ever seen online or in person.  I also knew that I have close to no family in the U.S., and my side of any type of wedding would be very small.  Especially when compared to my fiancé’s 100+ cousins. So our first decision: keep the size of the wedding manageable.

Again, this is what worked for us, and ultimately for our families. We decided that our guest list would dictate where and when we would have the wedding, so it was logical for us to start there.  So the day after we got engaged, we sat down together and made a list of our Must Haves: the people in our lives that we absolutely needed to have at our wedding, and we would make that happen regardless. We did a concentric circle method: us in the middle, and our VIP’s in the circles moving out.  Sort of like this awesome graphic:

 

concentric circles

Clearly this isn’t our actual guest list, but that’s how our thought process went. All of our guests are incredibly important to us, but we really wanted to focus on people we wanted to be surrounded with on our wedding, and not simply invite people out of obligation.

So there you have it, how we began our wedding planning!  Next up: Where in the world will we get married?!

No comments:

Post a Comment